PRNP Internship Program
ANNOUNCEMENT! PRNP has been awarded a $1.45 million National Science Foundation collaborative 5-year grant to recruit, prepare and retain STEM Teachers.
Six of our Partner institutions will be involved in this project: Arcadia University, Bryn Mawr College, Community College of Philadelphia, LaSalle University, Saint Joseph’s University and Temple University. Saint Joseph’s University is the lead institution on this project.
The PRNP-Scholarship program aims to recruit 55 new STEM teachers in the next five years with the goal of:
- Increasing the number of STEM majors that enter and remain in teaching in high-need schools in the Philadelphia region
- Increasing the social capital of Noyce program participants at all levels
- Increasing Noyce teachers’ understanding of Culturally Responsive Teaching practices
- Increasing Noyce teachers’ knowledge of Education for Sustainability content and pedagogical practices
Community College of Philadelphia is one of six partner institutions of the Philadelphia Regional Noyce Partnership (PRNP) to be awarded a $1.45 million National Science Foundation (NSF) five year, collaborative grant to recruit, prepare and retain STEM Teachers.
Over the next 4 years, twenty-four (24) Community College of Philadelphia students will be recruited to participate in a summer internship program in which they can explore a STEM teaching career through hands-on experience. Interns will receive a $400 per week stipend for six weeks ($2400 total). The internship will have two intertwined components: (a) a credit bearing pedagogy course in which interns learn the basics of good teaching methods and (b) a teaching placement in a math or science summer program in which the interns can put into practice what they have been learning. Students at CCP who take this summer course will be able to seamlessly transition into the third year of the UTeach program at Drexel or Temple, as well as being able to start the teacher preparation program at our other partners with advanced credit.
PRNP Internship Program Information
To apply for the PRNP-Internship, a student must be a Community College of Philadelphia freshman or sophomore and be interested in exploring a career in secondary STEM teaching.
English 101 and Math Placement of 118 or better.
Commitment to Diversity
We believe that the field of STEM education benefits greatly when teachers reflect the diversity of those they teach. We highly value diversity and encourage minorities and members of under-represented groups to apply.
How to Apply for the PRNP Teacher Internship:
- Complete the application form
- Submit a personal essay and a current transcript. These can be uploaded as part of your application form.
- Submit a letter of recommendation. It should address your STEM competency and/or ability to teach. Recommendations can come from faculty, work supervisor, coach, etc. 2018-19 PRNP-Internship Recommendation Request
- Participate in an interview with the PRNP Internship Selection Committee if selected to move forward